The short report – progress is slow.
The long report: what do you expect? It takes three hours 15 minutes each way for the drive and it is still too hot to sleep on the boat.
I decided against sandwiching the new rail between the old halves – as you knew, it was a daft idea anyway.
So I cut “shims” out of the bottom halves of the rails, from where the rails had mounted to the coachroof.
First patient please..
There are 7 mounting points on each side, and as one end of the port rail was sacrificed to create a cutting knife for the new rails, I had 13:
I used the coachbolts to line up the holes, then glued and clamped the shims in place:
I made a shim to replace the sacrificed one, out of the left-over new wood.
The shims are too long and look shabby, after 31 years. I will sand, trim and shape them next week.
I will shorten each end of the rails, and shape the wood so that it matches the approx 45° slope of the end mounting point, so that sheets, lines and “moving stuff” does not snag on the ends of the rails.
As you can see, I still have to countersink the bolts. I am struggling to find the right shaped router blade or countersink bit. Once I have done that, I need to cut some caps from the left-over teak and, after using sealant (3M, no Silkaflex in the US) to keep the bolts secure, add some more sealant to act as semi-permanent fixing for the caps.
I read that teak oil can soften the marine sealant…
Today, I also started to fabricate a wooden case to disguise the holding tank which is on the saloon side of the bulkhead between saloon and heads. I just thought – maybe I could put knobs on it, so it looks like a cupboard! More on that another day.